Carbon monoxide facts you may not know

Carbon Monoxide, CO, is an odourless, colourless gas that can cause sudden illness and in some cases death.  Over the past decade Victoria has averaged one death per year from carbon monoxide poisoning and countless more cases of illness.  Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu – often it can be misdiagnosed or untreated.

The symptoms of CO poisoning include:

  • Tiredness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Mild or severe headaches
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Weakness and sleepiness
  • If the poisoning is extreme, it may lead to confusion, loss of consciousness and death. Loss of consciousness can occur quickly if the CO concentrations are high.

What causes it?

  • Carbon monoxide can be produced in high concentrations if the heater does not completely burn the gas it uses.
  • In some cases exhaust fans can also draw carbon monoxide back into your home.

Gas appliances and carbon monoxide

  • Gas fuel burning appliances can spill carbon monoxide if they are faulty or have not been adequately maintained.
  • There is often no way of knowing that an appliance is spilling carbon monoxide without proper testing
  • It’s not just gas wall heaters, in fact any gas appliance can pose a risk – gas central heating units can also spill CO.

Reducing the risk

  • Regular servicing of gas fuel burning appliances and heaters is the best way to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Experts recommend servicing appliances at least every two years as the best way to reduce risk.
  • Having a licensed gasfitter perform a carbon monoxide analyses on your gas appliances.

Contact Burwood Plumbing and for the cost a service call we will come to your home and perform a comprehensive carbon monoxide test to put your mind at ease.